Ten things your child needs to know to be ready to read.
1. Identify the front and back cover of the book
2. Locate the title of the book
3. Identify the first and last word in a sentence
4. Identify and know the purpose of a period and question mark
5. Understand and use the return sweep on a page of text
6. know the name and sound for the letters of the alphabet
7. know that words are made up of letters and sounds and that the letter sounds blend together to make the words
8. Know beginning sight words such as I, me, my, like, see, look...
9. Understand how to figure out unknown words by looking to the picture for help.
10. Have a grasp of basic sentence structure to be able to follow patterned text.
The above skills will get your child on the way to being a great reader!
What can you do to support your child: